Welcome to my blog, and let me be the first to say "thanks" for visiting. I have been debating for quite some time whether or not I want to expose my thoughts and ideas to the vast world wide web out there, but I've recently been inspired to do just that. So, before we go on this journey together, let me tell you what you can expect (or not expect) from this blog, and a bit about myself:
- I am a restorative dentist who practices in Lyndhurst, Ohio, and have committed myself to extensive post-graduate training. I practice relationship-based, comprehensive dentistry (much more on this later). What does this mean, for you, the reader? It means that I can't help but tell you that there will be many dental topics and philosophy to be discussed. I promise that I'll try to keep it interesting.
- Total health & well-being is of great importance to me. My life changed after reading Weston A. Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects. For anyone interested, I cannot recommend this book enough. Dr. Price was a Cleveland dentist known primarily for his theories on the relationship between nutrition, dental health, and physical health. This book was published in 1939, and the research is applicable to this very day. We will explore various aspects of Dr. Price's research in posts to come, but if you're interested, I would ask that you visit the Weston A. Price Foundation (http://www.westonaprice.org) for great resources on total wholeness and well-being. I should disclose that I receive absolutely no benefits for recommending this Foundation and/or book.
- I enjoy staying active. Outside of my practice and family, one of my greatest passions is CrossFit (http://www.crossfit.com). CrossFit is a strength & conditioning program that builds around community, nutrition, and mental strength and toughness. I am proud to say that I have been able to immerse myself in a great community of incredible people at CrossFit Distinction (http://www.crossfitdistinction.com) over the past two and a half years. It has been an incredible ride being surrounded by a community that knows exactly how to get the very best out of you at any given moment.
- I'm a Clevelander. Born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, I enjoy all that this city has to offer. Despite our sports history, I am a passionate fan of the Browns, Indians, and Cavaliers. I have found this city a great place to stay and live. Cleveland (really) has it all.
- I went to college in Ann Arbor (yes, Michigan). Despite my loyalty to Ohio, when it comes to collegiate sports, my allegiance goes to my Michigan Wolverines. I attended the University of Michigan with a concentration in Cellular, Molecular, and Developmental Biology before attending the Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine for professional school. Go Blue!
- I'm married to an (awesome) lawyer. You would think that wouldn't be easy, but surprisingly when you are the dentist in the relationship you learn to stop arguing with the attorney very quickly and succumb to defeat. I've thought about keeping a miniature white flag in my pocket at all times, but I don't think that is going to happen. Laura and I live happily with our favorite dog, Dylan, who also lives an all-natural lifestyle.
I know as we move forward you will get to know more about me, and what goes on inside my head. If you don't find this interesting, then please accept my apologies in advance. But, if you want to stick around for the ride, I'm glad to have you on board.
Thanks again for visiting.
Matt Kogan, DMD